Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My Thai Golf-Counting the days again.

Here we go again.
It's the first day of October and the trigger in my brain has fired off it's annual message telling me to start counting the days until I am playing golf in Thailand again.
Every year it's the same as the build up gathers pace and I start my ritual of crossing the days off on the calendar.

My flights were booked eight weeks ago but the excitement didn't start then. Okay so maybe it did, just a little bit, but that was back in the middle of our summer and we have had a warm one.

The excitement has really started now though. September has passed and I am a little more focused.
My head keeps spinning as pictures of all my favourite Thai haunts keep forming in my mind's eye.


Arrangements are different next year.

It won't be my usual arrival in the first week of February.
I'll be there on the 17th of January to be precise, and this time Mrs.'mythaigolf' will be with me on her first ever Thailand holiday.


We are dividing our time equally between Hua Hin and Koh Samui with a few days touring in between.
I know she will love it all.


Then, around 6th February, the first wave of my tour group arrive at our hotel in Hua Hin.
Mrs.'mythaigolf' will be treated to a few late nights with the lads before she flies home to the delights of the English winter, and work.


Meanwhile lucky old me will stay on in Hua Hin to oversee and compete in ten days of highly competitive golf which includes four rounds of Stableford on four different courses. There will be around 30 of us all attempting to win the prestigious, and 10th, Thailand Trophy.

I've told you all before that I'm hooked on Hua Hin.
There is something so special about the place. The golf courses are awesome and they're all within a short drive of the town, and what a fantastic selection they have.
Black Mountain, Banyan, Springfield, Majestic Creek, Palm Hills and Sea Pine to name a few.
We'll play them all.


They also have the oldest course in Thailand, Royal Hua Hin GC, which is adjacent to the central railway station. It is a gem. A very challenging 18 holes with some dramatic views over the town.




The town of Hua Hin isn't big but it's full of fantastic restaurants that produce wonderful food at very reasonable prices.

Every evening, as you walk down any of the main streets, you can soak up the exhilarating atmosphere created by a global gathering of tourists tucking into great food and thoroughly enjoying themselves. I love it.


I can't wait to go and eat at the night market again. The buzz there is brilliant.
My favourite restaurant is called 'Bird Chilli'. Don't ask me why they call it that!
While you are waiting for your food try one of their Long Island Teas. Hmmmmm!


Then after your meal why not visit a proper Golfer's Bar. The King Bar is a thirty second walk from the centrally located Hilton Hotel. Your host, Billy, a fanatical Liverpool FC supporter, loves to see new faces. His bar has become a 'home from home' for Tour caddies on their holidays so the walls are bedecked with some fantastic golfing memorabilia. Billy also does all the best sport on his three screens so you won't miss a game. My group refer to The King Bar as Tour HQ.  It's a great place to meet.

So we come back to the reason why I go on an annual golfing pilgrimage to Thailand.
Just take a look at this breathtaking view from the clubhouse of Santiburi GC on Koh Samui.
Now if that's not reason enough!
Quite tempting isn't it?


I am not wishing the next 108 days away but I cannot wait to get back out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment